The needs of a child matter!
HHWS has a dedicated Child Welfare Team to ensure that each project, program and activity is Child Focused and the primary concern is kept at achieving what is in the Best Interests of children and young people. This team ensures that every function and activity across HHWS projects and programs exhibit our commitment to United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) through policy making, policy implementation, advocacy and actions related to children’s rights and protection. This team also ensures that children and young people’s thoughts, ideas, and opinions are used to improve our current programs and shape the future. This is achieved, by identifying each activity to one or more of the four key outcome areas of UNCRC-
- Survival – The right to nutritious food and clean water, appropriate clothing, access to adequate shelter, security, sanitation and health care is essential for a child’s holistic development. We provide for the basic rights of children so that they grow into contributing members of families and communities.
- Development – We are committed to supporting the children and young people in our program to reach their God-given potential by acknowledging children’s unique personality, talents and abilities.
- Protection – We resource our partners to safeguard children’s rights through training and education activities, and empower children and young people to safeguard their rights, and the rights of others, through various activities.
- Participation – We collaborate with partners and communities to consider children’s thoughts, opinions and needs when planning our program(s) and activities so that we engage in shared learning with the children and young people we support.
Through each of the project and program HHWS strives to provide for each child an opportunity to access all their rights as given by UNCRC. In addition to the other articles 2, 3, 4, 6 & 12, HHWS programs/projects particularly focuses on the following:
- Children’s Homes (Articles 8, 18, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29 – 39)
- Special Schools (Articles 23, 27, 28 – 39)
- CFSD (Articles 28, 29, 30, 31)
- DCS (Articles 28, 32)